View Single Post
Old 08-13-2016, 11:31 PM   #4
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Re: Removing Plasti-Dip?

PlastiDip is a sprayable rubber compound that can be thinned using a variety of commercially available products. What you use will be determined by whats underneath. Don't spend money on the brand name remover, I love DYC products but they absolutely r4pe you on the "specialty" things like the clears, solvents etc.

Go to your local industrial supply>specialty hardware store>paint store>regular hardware store (in order of my preference). And take a look in the solvents section (or in the case of hardware stores, both the paint solvents and the rubber/caulking sections). You will see a # of things including chemicals in a family called Xylenes. Xylene, Xylol, and Toulene are all common variants of that chemical solvent base. You will see them alone of mixed with other chemicals for specific purposes.

The thing that keeps PlastiDip sprayable (versus its actual dippable format) is the volume of thinner/solvent in the dip...and that solvent happens to be a chemical in the same Xylene base family *or at least a chemical which can be both thinned and dissolved when in contact with a Xylene. You can actually use it to re-lay edges on plastidip, thin it more for specialty sprays, or do spot repair. *

Any of those products will work to quickly thin and dissolve PlastiDip. You can rub it on a rag, put it in a spray bottle (careful of what its made from!), or use a foam brush and dab it on. It will liquify most thin dip, and any thick layers will become softened and should easily rub away with a soft cloth or the but of your hand.

If for some reason you REALLY can't get it to work, the mechanical solution is the 3m wheel used for decal and striping removal, but that too will have a hard time with tight crannies.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote