View Single Post
Old 12-24-2008, 06:52 PM   #10
kustombrad

Re: Project "49 No Buck$"

Ok... Here goes. I figured I'd start from the back and work my way forward. The wheels I used are Halibrand copies (15x10 & 15x6) I got on Ebay for a little more than $500. The tires are 275/60 & 205/60 for the right rake/look. I needed a narrowed rearend to make the tires fit, but this is where being cheap means being creative. An S-10 rearend would work, but is 1 1/2" too narrow for a wheel/tire with 4 1/2" of total backspace. So I scored a rearend with a plan. Look at the numbers on the glovebox to find out the ratio. I found one with the GU6 code (3:42) with the numbers G80 after (POSI) for next to nothing at our local Pick & Pull. I again went to Ebay for some 1/2" racing wheel studs (around 2 1/4 long about $30) and a set of 3/4" wheel spacers ($35 for the pair). I knocked out the studs with a hammer. Tapped the existing holes (KEEP THEM STRAIGHT) with a 1/2"x20 tap, removed the wheel cylinder (took out the 2 bolts and pulled it back) and screwed in the studs from the back (use washers and some red lock-tite). Now I have my poor mans narrowed rear w/posi and never removed the axles! Here's what it looks like from the inside. Since this is on the cheap, I'll share my mini tub plan as it goes together.
kustombrad is offline   Reply With Quote