Thread: no spark
View Single Post
Old 06-20-2010, 11:24 PM   #11
Jtrux
I'm a poor spectator

Re: no spark

Hmmmm, let's see. I've been here many times before. For a points system to operate properly they should only have 12 full volts during starting, at all other times the coil should only receive approximately 9 volts. Many people mistakenly run a wire directly from the battery to the coil which will foul the points. I don't recall how the voltage is reduced (i've upgraded to HEI...hint, hint, hint) but it can either a built in resistor in the wire or a ballast resistor maybe bolted to the firewall. My wiring was all hacked up and I had a direct 12 volts hooked up to my coil so in order to correct it I ran a ballast resistor inline to the coil to reduce it and I also ran a wire from the starter solenoid (cannot remember where to hook it, maybe the "S" terminal but not 100 percent) to provide 12 volts during starting because during starting the starter uses lots of juice and if the coil only had 9 volts during starting you have issues getting it to start.

Anyways my recommendation would be to go through and check all the wires and possibly run you're own so you know that they are done correctly and if you still have issues then we'll have to do some more trouble shooting but in the mean time check the wires providing voltage.

1993 Chevy 2500 4x4 ExCab LWB 454/NV4500 Tow rig

1977 Ford F100 2x4 LWB 1st truck I owned, still have it!!!

1979 Ford F150 4x4 SWB Built Ford Tough!!!

1971 Chevy Blazer 350 / SM465 / NP205 UNDER CONSTRUCTION Soon to have a LQ4 6.0!!!
Jtrux is offline   Reply With Quote