View Single Post
Old 09-05-2019, 08:59 PM   #8
mr48chev

Re: If I had to do Over Again.... What would I change On My Build?

I had an electric pump that came on my 57 Panel that was that way. Sounded like someone was using a planishing hammer in the back of the panel as you drove down the street.

The thing I regret most, running changes in my plans for the total build that kept it from ever getting completely finished.

I tore the truck down to make changes just about every winter for a number of years rather than stick to a simple plan.

Some of the things I wouldn't do again:
Install a sunroof in it when they were a fad in the late 70's early 80's.
Weld in a setup for a coil spring rear suspension out of a 66 Impala. I should just have cut the brackets off the 12 bolt and used my springs and been done with it. The guy who welded it did a pretty job but the long continuous beads warped the frame and it had a twist in it from then on. Truck drove great and rode great but the bed always leaned to one side.

I didn't study the whole picture when I did the suicide doors and the hinge straps that fasten to the door infringe in the area that the window wants to be in. No way to put windows that roll up and down. No one was selling suicide door hinges in 1981 when I did that.

I did learn a lot. I learned that you come up with a theme and a plan and stick to it and don't break away from that plan. I've got a shed full of parts that I bought and didn't use because I changed my mind and didn't use them.

I've also got 70% of the parts for the way I want to do it this time which will be the final time. I need to get my butt in gear and get the shop/shed built to work on it in but that should come together in the next few weeks.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote