View Single Post
Old 07-02-2018, 01:40 AM   #214
DransportGarage

Re: Bob's Retirement Build - My '55 TF

I've been sanding high solids primer on and off for the last 6 weeks -- 80 grit, then 180. P400, the P600 will be coming up before sealer and color.

I'm ready to pull the primered cab off the frame so it can be final sanded and painted, but before I did that I decided to re-check the bed assembly procedure. Good thing I did. Before I boxed my frame I welded nuts inside it to accept the cross sill bolts. Well, guess what? That took all the slop out, so I couldn't move the cross sills around. Because of that, the bed side angles couldn't be bolted through the bed wood. I have to enlarge some holes tomorrow, and then I'm going to drill some 1/8" locating holes through the cross sills and frame so I can position it exactly. Because I'm using stainless strips with hidden bolts, The cross sills will need to be tightened at final assembly before the wood goes in.

Also, I had changed to aftermarket cross sills because my originals were badly rusted. The second cross sill was too high. Went to a thin rubber mount under that one.

So, the project is moving. I hope to have three of the four coats of color on for show-and-tell at my Labor Day party when my old Chevy buddies will be here. We'll see...
Bob's Retirement Build - My 55 TF
Bob's 700R4 Build (how-to)
DransportGarage is offline   Reply With Quote