View Single Post
Old 09-17-2018, 09:52 PM   #14
Mr_Rich

Re: 1999 Trans Am 5.7 6 speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjzepplin View Post
Well the battery was dead cuz he forgot to charge it. I dropped off a charger and he said later that day it started right up. I see him every day at work so no bigge. I just have a crazy schedule for the next week so this will be driving me crazy. Oh does anyone scoff at the ls1 Aluminum block?

Scoff??? I think that's ridiculous. This engine has iron cyl. liners. I have an LS1 that I ran for 125K sitting in my garage right now. If I had a '04 or older vehicle I'd love to drop it right in in place of a 4.8, 5.3, or whatever engine. About the trickiest thing about the LS1 is that so much oil splashes around in the engine the PCV system sucks it up and deposits it in the intake tract. A lot of people set up a catch can arrangement. My LS6 has an improved PCV baffle system in the valley area of the engine that corrected that fault. I like the LS1 over the 5.3 engine any day. The confusing issue nowadays is the different iterations of LS engines that aren't always compatible with each other like the Gen III, Gen IV, and Gen V versions. You have to pay attention to which ECM you're going to use along with reluctor wheel of the specific engine you have.
1997 K2500 Chev. EC 7.4L/ 4L80E
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 HD R/C
Mr_Rich is offline   Reply With Quote