View Single Post
Old 10-16-2016, 09:36 PM   #99
Nick_R_23

Re: Project "You thought yours was bad!" '78 C10 Stepside

So this is a problem that I've been dealing with. That aluminum cover kind of screwed me, as nobody makes a very good timing tab for them. The reviews were split, some people said they fit great, others said the balancer hits the lower allen bolt. Guess which one I was! Luckily, I ordered a two piece one. I was hoping to modify the spacer supplied with the tab, but I wasn't happy with the design of it, especially since the aluminum cover had recessed holes for the bolt heads. Summit claims that these are specifically designed for the aluminum covers, although I don't think that is true, as with the spacer installed to clear the timing cover, the bolts are only long enough to fit a stamped steel cover. Regardless, this stupid thing was pretty expensive so I was determined to use it. After trying a few different things, I ended up with .625" spacers (5/8") which fit perfectly. I actually ended up just machining the beveled tips off some roll pins, which worked great! Very solid mount, and the bolt clears the balancer perfectly.

Next up, verifying true top dead center. I built a quick piston stop tool out of an LS engine pushrod and one of the old spark plugs out of the engine. Worked perfect! Being that the engine is nearly new, the timing ended up being dead on, centered perfectly in the pointer.

Nick_R_23 is offline   Reply With Quote