View Single Post
Old 08-13-2016, 11:11 PM   #38
TOM72

Re: How can I get my 1971 Chevy 4x4 to ride smoother??

I know this is a old subject but i have owned three 72 chevy 4x4 pickups which all rode so bad that i sold every one of them due to the rough ride. i recently bought a 72 chevy half ton 4x4 with a cheap 4inch lift that consist of ( front springs, four shocks and lift blocks for the rear). Don't know the brand but i think its rough country from what the po says. And yet again this truck also rode very rough almost like a fork lift or a tractor with every large bump in the road resulting in my head hitting the roof (no seat belt) i tried every spring brand, manufacture i could find and nothing worked. I read so many post and spent so many hrs researching what everyones done with no fix. I finally had enough and started messing around with the rear springs which seem to me was causing the extremely rough ride. I pulled the shortest leaf closest to the axle and the one above which in my case ended up with a total of four springs on each side. I have not loaded anything heavy but i will say the ride has improved so much that it almost feels like I'm riding in my 04 gmc crew cab 3/4 ton. I don't have the money to spend on custom springs and no this is not the right way to resolve this and yes the springs may crack but until that happens I'm going to enjoy every smooth mile i can. Hope this helps or leads anyone in the right direction to a smoother ride.
TOM72 is offline   Reply With Quote