View Single Post
Old 09-07-2017, 05:34 PM   #4
72K5CSTDarkOlive

Re: Power remains on with ignition off

Thank you very much for taking the time to help out. I really appreciate it. Answer below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteVet View Post
I suspect that you have a battery feed wire bypassing the key switch and powering the accessory part of the fuse panel. If you don't have power with the key switch off on those items before you turn the key on, then you shouldn't have it after you turn the key switch off unless the key switch is staying connected internally, but you said you've changed the key switch, so that should rule that out.

I would connect a test light or volt/ohm meter between the negative battery cable and the battery negative terminal with the key off and check for an amp draw on the 10 amp scale.

I will have to go to the store and get one since I don't own one.

Your pictures show a stock fuse panel so I ask, do any of these fused circuits stay on when you pull their fuse. Wipers, turn signals, heater, stop/tail, radio.

Turn signal, stop, tail light turn off
The radio remains on
wiper doesn't turn on whether ignition is ON/Off l. (i don't have the arm connected but don't think this would make a difference?)
Heater doesn't turn on whether ignition is ON/OFF

The yellow wire could be the resistance bypass wire from the starter R terminal to the stock ignition coil, which you don't need with HEI. It is next to the purple solenoid S terminal wire in the harness in your pic so it might be that wire. If your harness is for the stock coil and not HEI then it would have that wire in it.

I've disconnected the yellow wire from starter and have same results.

The small black wire with the fuse is for the battery gauge and there should be one where the red wire from the alternator terminates. There should be a junction in the main harness for the alternator, battery charge, alternator voltage sensing, and cab power wires all join.

Sorry, I am very new to this so I'm not sure if I understand correctly. Where would this junction in the main harness be located if I had one?

your post 2 pic 1 --Why do you have a four gauge cable to the fender junction? This should be a 16 gauge fusible link for fusing the battery power only, circuits.
No reason other then a recommendation from someone. I have 16 gauge wire and will swap this out. Could this be part of the reason?

Your post 2 pic 3 What are the purple and red wires plugging into in the fuse panel and where do they go? Also what is the electric choke plugged into?
purple and red wire are for seat warmers that need to plug into a 12V source so i am using the HEI connector coming off the HEI wire in the fuse panel. Electric choke is connected to IGN unfused. I believe there are two of these?

Build version 2.0: 72 K5
6.0 LQ9, 4L80e, NP205
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=793192