View Single Post
Old 06-20-2017, 11:20 AM   #17
Brad54

Re: Winches /Where to buy

Quote:
Originally Posted by '63GENIII View Post
I ran an 8274 for many years in the beaten down condition it was in. Truly one of the best winches ever made. I now have a Milemarker hydraulic 9.5 in front and a 10.5 for the rear. All of them came off of Craigslist.

Aside from having 2 hoses fabbed at the hydraulic shop for 20$ and the initial 300 for each, I consider them to be a good deal. The first one came loaded with synthetic line, 2 wired remotes, 1 wireless remote (which I haven't really grown into), a new 50' jerk strap, the original wire rope, cover, steel and aluminum hawse fairleads.

Comparing the 8274 to the MM is like apples to some genetically modified outer space orange on steroids. I loved my Warn when I had it but the hydraulic walks the electric ones all day long.

If I did river fording or ran the risk of killing the engine, I might run one electric. That said, i use mine for skidding trees for firewood, pulling the neighbor kid's car out of the other neighbor's yard when he for got where to park etc.
Your rear winch is mounted permanently? How and where is it mounted? And where does the fairlead exit the body?

I'm going to put a PTO winch up front, and I've got a rear step bumper and was thinking of mounting an electric winch under the bed and having it come out of the bumper.

-Brad

There's no cool like Old School
Brad54 is offline   Reply With Quote