View Single Post
Old 11-07-2018, 06:45 PM   #14
Phungki

Re: What’s the most practical way to swap engines?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebte View Post
honestly, look for a V8 truck or car, shifter location can be moved no matter the platform. Get a used car or truck and move over everything you want. In my case with the 93 GMC I used the entire cab harness from the 93. I now have courtesy lights, newer wiring, fuel injection and the fuel pump wiring was already in the harness and it was very simple. It will be a little time consuming if you are using the old harness as you have to figure out the locations for wires when doing a custom gauge install.

As for newer engines, the electronics are not bad. Many of them will last a long time and you get the ease of fuel injected start ups and an electronic shift transmission.

If you get a truck as a doner, the cross member may only need shortened and bolted in, the engine mount will be the biggest custom part you have and that is very easy.

You can also use this kit, easy enough.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/c...etxk/overview/

Also check out other builds. I have taken so many ideas from the folks on here that its crazy. I found that OrrieG used a foot brake pedal out of a 70-80s blazer in his truck. So i adapted the same idea and it was super easy.

Mainly, its your build. Have fun and keep it unique.
Thank you
I have been poking around this forum for awhile trying to decide the best course of action. Trying to decide which way I want to go. I’m still not sure. I know EFI is nice, not sold on it. Kinda like the old school carb. Is figuring out the wiring going to be more difficult using a newer donor compared to an older one? I’ve never done auto wiring. I rewired my whole house tho 😁. Yes I know that it’s completely different lol. I was hoping I could just buy a new harness and plug everything in, ripping out the old as I go. Nothing is that easy. If I was keeping the original motor that would be more if a possibility I’m guessing
Phungki is offline   Reply With Quote