View Single Post
Old 01-01-2019, 09:06 PM   #1
NeoJuice

What's going wrong inside my 350?

Purchased the truck back in Nov of 2016 as a partial finished build. Link to unfinised build thread below. I stopped updating the thread because of photobucket.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=723325

Engine is a 1978 Fresh rebuilt chevrolet 350 with .030" bore over and mild cam. Has a 700r4 corvette servo, Stage 2 shift kit, Beast sun shell 3000 Stall converter &
B&M Unimatic Shifter as I was told.

I've started the truck maybe half a dozen times since about september and there were no issues except for the timing and carb calibration needing done and it being loud as HELL. On December 19 I trailered it to the exchaust shop to have the exhaust installed because of good weather. I didnt think I was going to be able to get it done until spring so it put me one step closer to get it on the road come spring.

Since the truck is in pretty poor timing and the carb needing tuned the truck was winched up onto the trailer. Unloaded using the winch at the exchaust shop, pushed into the shop, pushed out of the shop and winched back up onto the trailer and towed home.

When I got the truck home we decided to try and start the truck to hear how the new exhaust sounded. Well that opened another can of worms b/c I was pissing transmission fluid out one of the hoses on the passenger side of the transmission. After some further investigation that just turned out to be a loose hose connection. After a couple more starts the truck starts to make this hell of a screaming noise coming from the bottom end of the engine. I pulled the alternator and belt off and tried it again. Same noise so it's not coming from the water pump or alternator.

After investigating around underneith the truck to try figure out what the noise was, I found the torque converter wasnt even bolted to the flex plate. WTF? I could spin it freely with my hand. I figured this had to be the problem maybe the snout of the torque converter was rubbing up against the flex plate making the noise. So I went to my local transmission shop which happens to be located next to the exhaust shop and got the three missing bolts at $5each.

I installed the bolts into the torque converter and got the bolts torqued to spec. I figured this would now fix the squeeling noise & vibration and it didnt. So I re-installed the alternator and belt because I know they were good. I started to do some googling and youtubeing and found that 'maybe' it might be due to vacuum inside the block. So I pulled the PVC valve out of the valve cover and the breather on the passenger side and proceeded to try and start the truck again. Same noise. Either then the timing being off and carb needing tuned I'm not sure what is going on inside the block. Here is an example why I gave this a try.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5eEitHdsXc

I did tons of searching from flex plate failure, engine knock, bottom end failure, rear seal replacement, harmonic balancer replacement and cant find anything simular to what I'm experiencing. So here I am posting to find out if anyone might know possibly what might be going on. It doesnt make sense since each time I've started the truck before it just ran rough because of timing/carb calibration.

Since this was a partial finished build I'm thinking the guy B.S'd me into thinking this was a rebuilt engine and tranny. I'm not saying it's not, but now this happens. It's weird because I'm getting real good oil pressure on my gauge. I've yet to pull out my compression tester to check the cynlinders. Any insite on what might be going on would be much appriciated. I'm hoping that I dont have to pull the motor & tranny. I paid top dollar for the truck because of the work completed and was told it was a frech rebuild.

I took two videos today and posted them to the link below. I also included the first startup video that I took back in September. Hopefully the shared links work. Thank you everyone for your time.

September first start & Top Engine noise from the top
https://photos.app.goo.gl/EAqnZqKHPN5WNPZW6

Under Truck Torque Converter flex plate.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/qUP6BQRNsuhLtN427
NeoJuice is offline   Reply With Quote