View Single Post
Old 09-26-2017, 10:00 AM   #1283
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Re: 85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

Saturday was a huge day on the "Scarlett gets a spring in her step" project. Keith and I got going early while Chris chased supplies. We unbolted the bed and removed the bumper and tailgate. We lifted the bed off to expose the stock suspension and went straight to work.

I'm sure a lessor quality air chisel might remove the rivets that hold the spring mounting brackets on, but it would be so much slower. Keith fired up his Snap-On and went in to beast mode. He popped the heads of quickly and the springs were on the floor on a short time.

With the springs and brackets out of the way we could focus on the C-notch. Templates are provided with a hole in the frame for a reference point. We used magnets to hold the template in place and punched or corner points. These were drilled out and the notch was marked. We used a Sawz-All with fresh blades to cut the notch out. All went well till I failed to double check for clearance behind the cut.

Chris and Keith had moved the brake line to clear for my cutting, but I failed to double check and didnt see that it had fallen back in place. When smoke rolled up while I was cutting, I know something was amiss. Be sure to double check before you make your cuts.
Attached Images

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"

Last edited by N2TRUX; 09-26-2017 at 01:24 PM.
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote