Thread: 47-55.1 1948 1 1/2 Ton Loadmaster
View Single Post
Old 05-26-2012, 11:48 PM   #23
jrdecat

Re: 1948 1 1/2 Ton Loadmaster

Just had an interesting adventure...my buddy and I went to go bring the truck home. It's about 60 miles so we figured that we'd either tow it or drive it. Drive it was option #1 but we didn't think that ol' green would be too road worthy, and we were right! First thing we did was topped off all the fluids: gas, oil, water, brake, windshield washer (just kidding). Anyways, about the time we decided to fire her up I realized I had left the keys in the cup holder of my car - 60 miles away! Such an idiot. They key had been removed in the "on" position so I was pretty sure we could pull start it. 3 or 4 tries and the engine fired up and was running. I had to keep feathering the gas pedal to keep her running though so we had a few moments of panic on the highway. I forgot to mention that we couldn't get the brakes working, but the hand brake worked so we figured that was good enough. My friend definitely did not want to tow this thing the whole way.

I had swept out most of the mouse turds from the cab, but there was still some headliner that I didn't rip out, so every time I hit a bump I had mouse turds falling on my head. I got the rig up to 35 mph a couple of times. I only blew through one 4 way stop sign and 1 red light due to the lack of brakes, but I got lots of thumbs up and smiles.

60 miles, multiple traffic infractions, an uncountable number of mouse turds, and a lot of stress got us the 60 miles from ft collins to denver. I probably should have added the truck to my insurance before I drove it...

But now she's home and I didn't die.

Step #1 - get rid of the turds and mangled headliner
Step #2 - fix the brakes

jrdecat is offline   Reply With Quote