Thread: Wife's 48
View Single Post
Old 11-02-2018, 05:27 PM   #130
8man

Re: Wife's 48

My buddy came over today and we got a good 6 hours in on his truck.

I have to say it goes REALLY slow when it's the first time you do something, at least for me. 6 hours and we got the steering column mounted where he liked it, the brake pedal mounted where he wanted and the Vintage Air mock up unit mounted and the bracket fabbed for the front VA bracket (not in the following pictures).

Here is the placement for the Vintage Air unit.
IMG_2086 by Robert Moorman, on Flickr
That was as high as we could get it on the firewall and still be on flat firewall steel. If it's too high or low, please let me know. We know the glove box will be cut down, but other than that we had no reason to think it wouldn't work.

Then the steering column was installed.
IMG_2085 by Robert Moorman, on Flickr

And a shot of the brake pedal assembly from the top.
IMG_2083 by Robert Moorman, on Flickr

We bolted the booster on to see how it fit, and it doesn't bolt all the way up against the firewall. He cut the hole small 2 1/2" so the large tube around the brake shaft fits up against the hole and doesn't slide through the hole.
IMG_2082 by Robert Moorman, on Flickr

I really thought it should have been made larger so the master cylinder sleeve would go through the firewall. As it is there is about 1/2" of threads showing on the master cylinder. Is that right?

This one shows the location of the steering wheel (NOT the actual steering wheel, just the only one I had in the junk pile to put on the column to see how it sits).
IMG_2087 by Robert Moorman, on Flickr

He took the fenders home to start blasting and priming, so I did get some stuff out of the shop. Now to get that frame and cab to his house and start on my truck! Not this month though...
Build thread: "]http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=746899&highlight=wife%27s+48[/URL]
[/URL]http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=840204
8man is offline   Reply With Quote