View Single Post
Old 12-06-2016, 03:06 PM   #13
bambbrose

Re: Utility bucket seat covers ?

Thank you so much for the guide and details. Sounds like what I'll need to do. I'm not sure my wife's sewing machine will be up to the task however. Open to suggestions on what kind of machine to watch for!

And sorry for the thread hijack OP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemi43 View Post
Hopefully the OP won't mind me posting this on his thread.

I'm not sure what type of sewing machine your Wife has, but an industrial one with a walking foot is a must because you'll be going through at least 4 layers of vinyl.

Hopefully the original covers are still somewhat intact, then it's only a matter of taking it apart so that the panels can be used as templates. I use a single edge razor blade to cut the stitching while pulling the panels apart.
If the panels don't sit flat, ironing them will help a bit. I then transfer the shape of these panels on bristle board because it makes it easier to use this thin cardboard to trace the pattern on the new vinyl.

On most cars, the passenger and driver's seat are identical, so only one set of patterns needs to be made. Keep in mind that the original panels have stretched and shrunk over the years, so I cut the patterns with smooth lines so as not to copy wear.

Once all the vinyl is cut, the first thing to do is sew any pattern or pleats into the seating area. I use 1/'2 fabric covered foam for this.

The next thing is making the piping. You can get 5/32 dia piping core from any upholstery supplier and it's made from a hard foam. I always sew the piping on one panel first because it makes it easier when doing the final sewing.

More than likely your foam will need replacing too, so use medium density foam. The best way to cut it is with an electric meat knife that you can get at a pawn shop or Goodwill store. Final shape is done with a 2" 36 grit sanding disc.
YouTube has some excellent videos on how to do this, and will most likely explain better than what I can. This is a hobby for me, and have only done about 4 interiors, but it's really quite easy. Anyone can do it because it's not rocket science, and it's nice to be able to claim you sewed your own seats.
If you decide to tackle it, I'd be more happy to help.
Here's some pictures I had ;