Thread: 47-55.1 My 4" drop axle
View Single Post
Old 07-26-2019, 04:19 PM   #8
MARTINSR

Re: My 4" drop axle

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick53 View Post
Pete and Jakes sent me some pictures of my 4" drop axle they had Super Bell make for me. My spindles are being altered and I'll send them to them. Then they can finish it.
It just doesn't look like it's dropped 4" over stock. I think it may be 4" over the stock Ford axle for which it was used. That is a transverse spring dropped axle like from a 34 Ford, with spring perches welded on it to work on the truck. But those just don't look like they are 4" over the stock truck. Here is a 3" dropped similar axle made with forged ends on a piece of tubing.

I know Pete and Jakes has been around 40+ years, they have made more axles than probably anyone, so I have to believe they know what they are doing and it will be a fine axle. But I just have to question about the drop amount, it doesn't look right to me. On the last photo you posted it looks like from the top of the spring mount if a straight edge were ran over to the king pin mount it looks like it would only be a few inches between the straight edge and the bottom of the axle where the king pin goes. On the photo I posted which is only a three inch drop (over stock) that distance looks further, three inches or so at least.

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"

Last edited by MARTINSR; 07-26-2019 at 04:32 PM.
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote