View Single Post
Old 06-23-2009, 12:02 PM   #19
IAFF2407

Re: seattle overhauling PART 2

the seats came out of a '07 Escalade, they are very comfortable.

front row has 10 way power, heated and air conditioned. mounting the seats was easy. They sat on the floor pan perch perfectly but you had to drill a couple of holes.

the 2nd row was the most work. I had to cut the back of the base frame off up to the mounting holes. I used grade 8 bolts with fender washers and self locking nuts. the plan is to weld the washers and bolts to the underside so I can re and re the seats easily. You need to build up the outer bolts with fender washers under the seat frame due to the curve of the floor pan. (I'm still trying to think of something better than the fender washers) there is enough leg room if you move the front seats forward, it makes it tight if you have 4 adults, with kids it's ok. My seats were all 3 rows package deal. I think I would prefer buckets as a 2nd row. The 2nd row buckets I believe has a step up in the base frame. The older models fit better as you can mount the rear of the seats on the Burb deck, but then you may have the cost of re-upholstery.

the 3rd row works great, I cut the floor pan out of an Escalade with the mounting brackets intact. This is not an easy job to do neatly, best to use a sawzall and brace the donor vehicle carefully as the shock/body mounts are part of the pan. When I had it out I trimmed to fit the sides AND underneath. A plasma cutter would be the neatest but sawzall works. I built a 1 1/2" angle iron frame around and welded the pan to it (this also stops the pan from collapsing when you bolt it down). I left 1/2" space on both sides between the wheel wells so that I could tuck in wiring, carpet, upholstery etc.. You can bolt the framed pan into the original 3rd row seat mounting holes. Becareful that you line it up carefully so that your bolts don't fall inline with the seat brackets. you will have to drill through the front pan and wood floor to mount the front. I used 3/16" steel plate running underneath the wood for bracing, it is the full width of the floor, I wouls suggest that you use overkill in your installation as this is a 37 year old piece of wood.

I would of liked to mount the 3rd row to the frame but the wood deck sits up off the frame and it looks like a lot of extra work.