View Single Post
Old 01-27-2018, 05:53 PM   #9
Bladeboy1998

Re: 2003 2500hd 6.0 odd vacuum leak issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzy_Britton View Post
am i the only one that is getting the plain jane forums from yesteryear or is this the new norm?

anyways, i have a question about your smoke test. you said that you plugged the smoke into the pcv valve, on the engine or the intake? if you plugged it into the engine side, smoke makes sense coming from the push rod galley as the entire engine is open with exception of the cylinders. smoke in the valve cover pcv will eventually wind its way down the pushrod holes, to the cam and the lower engine and then it will work its way out wehere ever there is a hole, obviously you know this or you wouldnt have a smoke machine.

second thought being if you are smoke pressurizing the intake manifold and getting smoke out the valve covers or the pushrod tubes then i would have to GUESS that maybe the valve stem seals are bad, or maybe rings, but if it was rings i would also imagine that the plugs would foul more often than not because of burning oil.

i have never used propane to test for intake leaks, i have always used brake cleaner or engine cleaner or starting fluid to spray around the suspected leak area to listen for the rpm change. is using propane as efficient (i guess that is the word i could use) at determining leaks as a flammable liquid aerosol like brake cleaner?

just thinking out loud, i know nothing.
Posted via Mobile Device
Sorry I was a little unclear, I put the smoke machine nozzle into the intake manifold, where the pcv goes into the intake. I only ran about 5 pounds of pressure out of the smoke machine. It came out of the pcv valve and the oil cap. I pulled the passenger valve cover and the smoke was coming out of the push rod galleys at a pretty good velocity, more than I would think ring gap would allow.

The plugs aren't fouling really, they do have about 60k on them, and they are acdelco double platinum plugs.

At work we use propane cause it makes more of a noticeable difference in the oxygen sensors on the scan tool. Instead of just listening for rpm change, you see data change.
Bladeboy1998 is offline   Reply With Quote