View Single Post
Old 11-06-2010, 09:22 PM   #65
SeventyOne

Re: The "In over my head" build thread

Well I think I have a solution.

The new wheel studs seemed to fit the bill - correct .625 knurl diameter, longer than stock, 9/16-18 threads - but I ran into the same issue as the 14 bolt studs: the rotational rocking or slack between the hub and rotor.

Here's a shot of all three for comparison:
Name:  IMG_2436.JPG
Views: 3067
Size:  41.8 KB

For Sh's and giggles, with 4 of the new studs in, and 4 of the 14 bolt studs in the hub I pressed out 1 of the 14 bolt studs and pressed a stocker in its place. The slack lessened. Using my brain for good rather than evil I tried a second stock stud on the opposite side of the rotor in place of another 14 bolt stud....moment of truth....rocking/slack gone!

I did a little more research on other wheel studs and was thinking of trying a .627 knurl stud for all 8 but it wasn't in stock at Napa. But not knowing if it solves my issue I think the way the hub sits might be ok.

I think I will just run 2 of the stock studs to alleviate the slack issue, and 6 of the longer "new" studs to ease my mind over the thread engagement of the lug nuts. I know it's weird but honestly who would know (aside from all you fine folks reading this) and more importantly I think it is safer than either alternative (slack or minimal thread engagement).

So I will order up some more of the new wheel studs, finish these things up and move on. Good new from all this crap? My biceps are huge now from lifting the heavy hub and rotor assembly a billion times
SeventyOne is offline   Reply With Quote