View Single Post
Old 10-19-2018, 06:30 PM   #4
GreyGhost85

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 P.O.S. View Post
1. It is possible you need a new starter. Having to hit it is one sign of that. I don’t recall the exact year off the top of my head, but 70’s Vette starters are hi torque and mount right up. Another issue is you say you can’t start it after running for 20 mins or so….that sounds like the classic Edelbrock carb boil symptoms to me. You need a heat insulating gasket to cure that, and from your pics, you don’t have one. An Edelbrock 8723 may work for you.

2. I’m not sure what’s going on with the reverse issue, but your tranny sounds good to go to me. What I do see is you need to switch your vac advance hose to the other port next to the PCV port.

Yes, timing very well may be your issue. Timing is your engine’s baseline, if it’s not set correctly, none of your adjustments on anything else will be correct. I shouldn’t say none, but you get the idea. Timing is always first and foremost. To start off, set your initial timing in the 12-14 degree area (with the vac advance disconnected and plugged), plug the vac advance back in to the port I mentioned (your idle speed will jump up once reconnected), set your idle speed to 600 rpm in gear (should work out to 750 in park), and test it out to see how the engine likes it.
Thanks for the insight. I have attached a couple more pics of the carb. I think I’m going to purchase a new starter, distributor, carb gasket and timing light to see if I can reset things a bit. I may try to recalibrate the carb as well. Also considering changing the mechanical fuel pump out as well. I have an electric pump pushing through the mechanical one only for quick and easy starts. There is a gasket on the carb that’s very beat up as you can see in the picture.
Posted via Mobile Device
GreyGhost85 is offline   Reply With Quote