View Single Post
Old 02-21-2016, 11:11 PM   #81
AKC

Re: Sooo, I finally got me an old truck - AKC's 1968 C30

Got a few things done today...

Removed most of the old glue from the dash. (and some of the paint...)

Before
Photo place holder

After
Photo place holder

I tried a little on the dash pad, it's coming off. So is the layer of paint that's on there. And the top of the old vinyl. Besides, it's so fried and brittle and cracked, it's just not worth the time and effort. I'll get a new one.

I tried a little on the door panels, but didn't want to get sidetracked. I'll get to them. In the meantime, I figured since they already had some holes butched into them for some sash pulls(?), some new pulls would look better than holes.

Before
Photo place holder

After
Photo place holder

I had been wondering why the register controls looked so "off-angle", discovered the control assembly had completely pulled off the rivets of the fascia. Great.

OK, I'll just drill some through holes at the rivets and use some screws and nuts to get it back together. Now, to get the fascia off. I know the levers are actually fairly delicate, so I carefully rocked the first knob off. That went well. Next knob. Felt like it was rocking off, nah, that was the lever letting go. Crap. Oh well, let's get the last one off. OK, it's rocking (and so is the lever) there goes that one too. Turns out they had epoxied the knobs back on after the upholstery job. They weren't going anywhere. The first one coming off was a fluke. So now I'll be looking for a new register control assembly. Bet those are easy to find...

So I got it put back together and reinstalled. Things can still be operated, just not easily. Got rid of the remainder of the old stereo wiring. There's other wiring stuff to be dealt with at a later date.

I did get lucky with an age/wear/condition appropriate shift knob with the correct shift pattern on the 'bay. Looked like it was 3/8-24 and it was. Just needed a new jam nut, the old one had some sharp spots from previous wrench slips. That's better.

Photo place holder

I had planned to swap the seats out, but the register controls took a little time away, I was running out of daylight and I didn't want to rush. Besides, I think I'll be wanting to get a cover for it first. "You just haaaad to have black vinyl."

So I decided to set the new vent handles instead.

Before
Photo place holder

After
Photo place holder

So, some progress, little things while I plan out getting the mechanicals in order. I now know that it has a crate 350, an SM465 trans and the Eaton H072 rear axle, thanks to the board. (You folks)

Baby steps, baby steps...

Last edited by AKC; 03-06-2018 at 10:37 PM.
AKC is offline   Reply With Quote