View Single Post
Old 05-18-2013, 11:56 AM   #160
Vic1947

Re: Crusty Rusty Leaky Squeaky 67 Step

A while back, I sent some parts out to the metal blaster and ever since, a few rusted spots on the inner fenderwells have been sitting there giving me heartburn. Decided to take a break from the cab and chassis to address the source of the irritation. After trimming back the rusted edges of the rotted areas, I made a few small patterns and transferred them to sheet metal. A bit of tweaking got them in the holes proper and out came the MIG.

I took Chip's advice and bought some EZ Grind wire, so I loaded it into the machine for a test run. Seems to weld real nice, although I probably should have searched a bit harder for .023" wire instead of the .030". It builds up fairly quickly which leaves you more to grind back down. Regardless, I got it all stuck together and finished down sufficiently for a thin skim coat of filler. I recently ordered a gallon of Magnet Paint Chassis Saver Satin Black and will apply it once the areas are prepped. I sprayed anti-spatter around where I was doing the MIG welding and have no idea how that will interfere with paint. Stuff almost looks like silicone going on, and if it is, that's a death sentence for most paints. Guess I need to do some research.
Attached Images

Maybelline - my '57 Ford 2dr Sedan "Mecum'd" 3/2016 Location unknown
Silver Streaker "Mecum'd" 4/2013 Somewhere in Texas
Vic1947 is offline   Reply With Quote