View Single Post
Old 05-18-2013, 12:19 PM   #161
Vic1947

Re: Crusty Rusty Leaky Squeaky 67 Step

Took the day off yesterday to go look at a 69 Roadrunner. Didn't buy it, but it was a nice day trip. Back on CRLS today I cleaned up a section of the frame where a PO had hacked it for header clearance. I plan to set the 350 in the rearward holes using the I6 perches. I'll be using the exact same block hugger headers as on my previous build. Based on that experience, I know there will be no interference, so I wanted to fill in the notch in the frame.

As luck would have it, I happened to have a piece of material in my scrap box that was almost a perfect fit ...just hung out a bit too far. Marked a line and cut it with the bandsaw, then did some minor sanding to get a nice fit. With the MIG cranked up to the max I laid down a fat bead and then ground it down. Fixed a couple other places while I was at it.

A wider gap with the heavy plate would probably have resulted in a bit better penetration. This is one area where the TIG differs from the MIG. Once the MIG wire hits the material and the metal transfer occurs, there's no going back. With the TIG, you can wait to feed the wire till you have the weld puddle like you want. Still in all, it made a nice repair and after the frame's blasted and painted, you'll never know the difference.
Attached Images

Maybelline - my '57 Ford 2dr Sedan "Mecum'd" 3/2016 Location unknown
Silver Streaker "Mecum'd" 4/2013 Somewhere in Texas
Vic1947 is offline   Reply With Quote