View Single Post
Old 10-19-2018, 01:30 PM   #368
Purcell69

Re: 1957 Chevy 3100, meet 1994 Dodge Ram 1500

Time for an update...The excessively wet Oklahoma weather has really played havoc with trying to get the new bed floor coated. I welded in some 3' long pieces on 3/4" x 3/4" x 1/8" angle stock under the floor that will run parallel with the frame on either side of the well for the gooseneck, to give the floor a bit more rigidity where there are no cross sills due to the hitch plate. I also boxed in the opening for the gooseneck hitch with some 3/16" plate steel to make the opening a bit stronger and provide a lip for the cover when the hitch is not in use.

I flipped the bed upright and the D-rings came in very handy, in conjunction with the engine crane and some nylon straps. I also found I had goofed on one of the D-rings and had to open the hole up with a die grinder so the D-ring could drop back in the pocket.

I remounted the bed to check the fit and it seems good, but I can trim a little off the 3/4" ribs since they are in direct contact with the hitch plate. About 1/8" trimmed off should do it.

I finally got a few hours of warmish, dry weather and was able to sand and prime the bed floor. I still need to recheck the fit of the new bed strips, add a piece of base angle to the front of the box where the floor meets the front of the box, and then coat the floor with the Monstaliner. After that, I can reinstall the D-rings and bed strips and remount the bed. Once this is done, big steps will be on hold until next Spring, since Winter is coming on fast this year.

-Joe
Attached Images