View Single Post
Old 03-07-2016, 09:48 PM   #50
jeffahart

Re: A quick look at the Hickey worm gear winch

Quote:
Originally Posted by '63GENIII View Post
Hey Jeff, cool read on the Hickey worm gear winch? Looks like you're making real good progress. One question though, did you get your motor issue sorted out? If not, look around for a motor rebuilder. They can rewind the motors, install new brushes, bearings and the like. Being in LA, there should be at least a couple of places. Better than trying to make something work?
The motor is expensive to get rebuilt, as far as quotes I'm getting so far. So, If I get a NOS 10 spline its around $300 and a rebuild is around the same, from my quotes so far. But a smooth shaft motor is $85. So if I spend bucks to keep 10 spline and the motor goes out, I'm back to square one on the over priced 10 spline.

Plus check out the 10 spline, a possible design flaw may be why they ditched it for the smooth shaft, from what I'm looking at now anyway.

In the following pics check out the 10 spline. How do you seal the shaft? Exactly, that's why I think they had two seals stacked, one to keep out most oil and one shoved up against the motor housing to get a bead on the small amount of smooth shaft.

So, I think I will get a smooth shaft motor and figure out how to retrofit for a newer gear for a smooth shaft motor and still use a 3/4" seal on the shaft and get a good seal right at the case.

Plus, the new design is to use a smooth bore gear with a key and set screw, there is a collar on the motor side of the gear that sticks through the transfer case; and the new seal is larger and seals at the gear collar. Again, some room for small leakage as the seal is not made at the shaft and some small amounts of oil could make it between the inner gear bore and the shaft and out to the motor when it's spinning.

So my Idea is to maybe use the old style small seal at the shaft, and retool a new style smooth inner bore gear so the collars stops short of the inner side of the transfer.

I will post more pics when I get the new style smooth inner bore gear, and post if it does or does not work and why. Anyhow If it work's I will have a good cheap solution for anyone in the future.
Attached Images