Thread: S10 Swap how to
View Single Post
Old 06-23-2014, 11:39 PM   #41
skymangs

Re: S10 Swap how to

Ok, now that the cab is on, and the driveline is set, it's time to start figuring out the box and running boards. First thing I do is cut 2 lengths of 1.5 x 1.5 11ga. boxed tube steel to 49.5". These will be your new "cross-sills". I put the box on the frame, then place one cross sill above the front box mounts (the ones I left), and under the factory angle edge strips on the stock pickup box. Then the second piece of steel goes directly on the frame, behind the rear axle "hump" in the frame. This should give you a nice level bed at the correct height for my "version 2" cab stands.

Then I drill a 1/4" pilot hole through the tube steel, and a 1" holesaw on the top side (access for the nuts and bolts), and bolt them right to the frame. I seam weld the 1.5" square tube to the bed side, around all 4 sides. now when you put weight on the bed, it is supported directly by the frame, and not the bedsides.

Be sure to check for level on your box. I do that by placing a 36" level along the drivers rocker, then along the top of the bed rail. Ensuring that the bubble is in the same location for both. then I check level side to side on the front panel, and tailgate. Finally I take a measurement from the windline on the back of the cab to the top of the box on both sides to be sure they are the same.
Attached Images

Last edited by skymangs; 06-23-2014 at 11:45 PM.
skymangs is offline   Reply With Quote