View Single Post
Old 05-28-2017, 01:42 PM   #245
evilokc

Re: What did you do with your truck today, Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
hey evilokc, what are you working on there for a truck? is it an old truck with a previous to you injected engine installed? also, what have you got for a power plant and wiring system etc? in previous posts you mention tossing the fuel injection and running a carb with mechanical fuel pump but also having some spark issues and it sounds like maybe you have the wiring sort of rigged up so it will just start and run with an on-off-kill style of switch set up. do you have the original fuel tank for injection with the original pump still in the tank? is there a fuel filter inline somewhere line a stock unit would have? i guess some answers to a few general questions would really help us to help you figure it out.

-what year of truck (I know, irrelevant but nice to know)

-what year and style of engine, small block chevy previously throttle body injected or port injected, possibly an LS with carb and distributor

-what type of fuel injection did you have previously before the fire

-what fuel tank style do you have, stock in cab or under the box or something different

-is the fuel pump for the injection system the "in the fuel tank" style or possibly an "inline" style and is it stilll in the system even though you say in a previous post that you have installed a mechanical style pump now. also, what type of mechanical pump, bolt onto the engine style driven with a pushrod from the camshaft like a typical old fashioned small block chevy that came with a carb on it or some other style of mechanical pump

-is the fuel tank vented

-have you checked to ensure the fuel lines are clear from tank to pump and on up to the carb, no kinks, squashed areas, possible plugged filters, possible poor rubber line somewhere etc

-what are you running for a distributor and how is it wired in

-have you got a couple of pics of the engine compartment and wiring system that you could post

-after it starts & runs for a few seconds then dies, have you checked for fuel in the carb by simply cracking the throttle and checking for a squirt from the accelerator pump in the throttle bore. does it die because it runs out of fuel or is it like the ignition gets turned off.

-the carb that was installed, what brand and style was it, was it a new unit, rebuilt unit, used unit from a recently good running engine-not a unit that ran good before but that was a long time ago so carb could be gummed up-carb not tipped upside down in the remove/install procedure

-you mentioned in a previous post that you were adjusting the fuel pressure. what have you got for fuel pressure and have you checked flow into a bucket to see what gallon per minute flow you have with an open fuel line from the carb supply fuel line after the regulator. I mean if you disconnected the fuel line from the carb and extended it to dump safely into a bucket so you could check flow over a 15 second fuel pump run cycle

I know, lots of questions,but we need to know what you have before we can help you troubleshoot it and hopfully get it running. some good pics would really help as well as some good information on what you have for a system
i guess i should have added some kind of back ground. i just needed to vent when i started posting. I'm sure you know what that's like. i have a 1953 chevy 3100 with a gen 1 small block and a 79 buick front clip. i ran it on this motor with a carb for about 3 years and then moved to new mexico where the elevation made it very difficult to get the carb to work well. i added a plastic gas tank under the bed and a professional products powerjection3 throttle body kit. ran it that way for about 10 years. when i moved back to Oklahoma i started having fuel issues. i would get a lot of popping and loss of power. i kept working on fuel maps but the maps said my injection was running great. i was backing out of my driveway when i heard a weird noise and i opened the hood and saw fluid pouring out of the top of the motor. i assumed it was fuel but didn't know for sure. went to turn the truck off and it burst into flames before i could turn the key. the fire ruined some wires and the throttle body. i tried to rebuild the injection and was able to get the truck to run again but the ecm must have gotten too much heat and it was erratic and unusable. i found a really nice quick fuel carb and installed it. i was planning to run it off of the same electric inline pump. however i decided since i was going carb there was nothing wrong with a good ole mechanical pump. installed everything went to fire it and had no spark. that was just an over sight on my part that i was able to correct. then i have no fuel. i could fill the bowls through the vents and it would fire and idle great until the bowls were empty then die. i couldn't get the fuel pump to prime. i did all the standard stuff. i blew compressed air into the fuel tank, i verified the inlet and outlet were correct on the pump, i removed the pump to make sure the rod was seated correctly. everything was fine. i then removed the pump AGAIN to measure the pump rod because i heard many of the after market rods were too short. mine was fine. i also noted that the fuel pump trigger had marks on it from the rod showing me that the cam lobe and rod were articulating the trigger. i started looking and the reviews for the orileys fuel pump i have said LOTS of them are bad out of the box. so right now that's where i am. I'm going to return the "bad" pump and install a " good" pump hoping that's the issue. having driven my truck daily for a decade and now NOT having it for 8 months has been rough.
Attached Images

evilokc is offline   Reply With Quote