View Single Post
Old 05-11-2017, 02:11 AM   #48
gokellurself

Re: Kell's Two Cents - 1946 build

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedoh View Post
what a great project, glad you are back on it.

my advice: buy the windshield, seriously. I did some math, figuring that I needed new glass, new hardware, new center bar, new glass tape, new gasket, it would have cost me around $400, AND still need to repair the rust in the lower channel, AND drill out and tap all the rusty hardware, AND put it all back together. for double that I could bolt it in and put my not very rusty one with broken glass on craigslist.
Thanks man, I know you're right too because all my windows came in a set together so I already have windshield glass that came with glass tape on all the edges, I just need the frame setup that they sell and the gasket. I like bowtie bits too, it's about time I pull the trigger... I've just been stuck on the counter intuitiveness of cashing out on a brand new frame and then soaking it with hydrochloric acid for it to match the patina my heart can't take it!

Hey do you have any more details on how to rebuild the windshield cranks? What size bits did you use? And where/how do I find that copper piece?
gokellurself is offline   Reply With Quote