View Single Post
Old 09-28-2010, 05:20 PM   #9
RUSHNBOBO
Account Suspended

Re: Door jamb VIN sticker

Quote:
Originally Posted by motornut View Post
Well if your not gona get impounded or fined heck it's ok then.I guess the part for me was that the door sticker and dash vin were changed.but they wouldn't know till they looked at the frame.but i was told even tho the truck body(still) is regestered as an 85 ,it now has to go by the frame 88 if it's newer then the body,for me that makes the truck have to have an etest done.The revinning is $500+here (and you hope no fine issued),and to get it to pass an etest then more$$.I don't know what fines it could be but i don't care.i wanted a truck exempt from etest,and thought i had one.Now it's just useless till they sort it out.But then again I'm in Canada and your in the US i'm sure their may be differences besides years that are etest exempt.
Yea,

Your situation is more complicated because of the emissions...which is what I was explaining earlier...that's what their really looking for is emissions fraud and theft which is rampant everywhere.

In Calif. we have an older vehicle exemption which I think they finally capped at 1976 so u have a situation in that 73 and up parts are interchangeable so it is not uncommon for persons to try to make a '77 into a '73- 76' ..to avoid smog inspections. Pre '72 rarely get hassled about vin.....especially when older trucks have probably had many engine swaps and sometimes entire new sheetmetal. When you buy a brand new part that is the part that locates the vin. tag obviosly you got to get it somewhere!!....that would be your vin. tag off parts truck rust bucket. They can't tell u can't rebuild a vehicle no matter what condition its in. If a air plane crashed into it and the only recognizable part was the vin. tag. You can start all over and build around that tag, just tell them first ....u never know!!!!

If i did another I would go to the dmv and explain first and get the forms (there's 1 for everything just to be sure) They might title it as some special or salvage status but i guarantee there's a way ....Plus where I live the CHP never messes with hotrodders they know were all cool. There to busy chasing rice burners

I know 1 who lives around the block from me and I do a full dually burnout every time I leave the driveway>>>>TTYL

Read this article about how to "rebody" a vehicle ...apparently it varies widely from state to state ...some states you can start with a donor car rip off the vin. and place it on the new body ....other states are "kit" status which upon approval it is issued a new vin. as a new vehicle, and yet another is use of the serial number of the body as a vin. The latter 2 options apparently may use the current year for registering purposes.

http://www.hotrod.com/projectbuild/h..._dynacorn.html

Take this thread out of the oven ....cause its done!!!!!!!!!
RUSHNBOBO is offline   Reply With Quote