View Single Post
Old 05-30-2018, 11:37 PM   #22
BigRandy

Re: Replaced pinion seal but did I do it right?

[QUOTE=YoungPup1977;8271793]A good used rear with 3.08 gears may help that 454 out on gas mileage, you might get an extra mile out of it....the thing about used rear ends is you really dont know if it has noise in it or any issues until you install it....than you back replacing the pinion seal and/or anything else thats bad, thats how you got here in the first place....

bearing kit = 100 bucks, 3.08 gears = 189 bucks plus you have the free forum to build this rear for ya.... how much is a used rear end that is perfect ?

This is only an opinion of mine with used stuff, I rebuild things and do not put used stuff in my vehicles......than I know what I have if I want to drive my vehicle cross country....[/QUOT

Thanks for the reply. I'm not really expecting MPG miracles with the 454 but would like to see RPM below 3K at highway speed. That's probably more of a want than a need but I do know the MPG jumps fro 8 to a whopping 10.5 if I stay around 2600.

I found a 12 bolt about 2 miles from me for $300. It's in an 81 C10 but I don't know the axle ratio. The truck has been parted out so no glove box sticker. There are no obvious leaks but you're 100% right about buying used parts - it's a dice roll.

To shift the topic a little I bought the truck last fall as a project and would normally go for new without much thought. It was a runner when I bought it but very neglected. I've taken care of the mechanical and maintenance issues and now have\had a reliable, albeit ugly, daily driver. Now my plan is on hold....

My job was eliminated after a buyout and I now spend a lot of time on the fence with some of the more costly decisions. I'm not in a bind but with no income my priorities have naturally changed. I still work on it but for now the needs outweigh the wants.

What I'd like to do is keep it running until I can resume the body work, trim, etc. Right now my conscience won't let me drop a crap load of money in it, but if it would I'd rather rebuild it myself. Never rebuilt one before but everybody starts somewhere and this forum is a living encyclopedia of knowledge.

The diff isn't shot but I'm now certain that's where that slight whine is coming from. What I don't know if it has 50 or 50,000 miles left in it.
BigRandy is offline   Reply With Quote