View Single Post
Old 02-07-2014, 10:01 PM   #15
Aussie Ol' Blue

Location: Sassafras. Victoria. The beautiful Mount Dandenong Ranges
Re: HELP! Changing the turn-signal switch

I did this just yesterday and had all the questions being asked. With some research of old threads on this site I did the job in twenty minutes.

!.remove steering wheel
2. remove the white plastic cam
3.remove the indicator lever screw and remove lever
4.remove the three screws holding the indicator switch and carefully lift the switch out and over the steering shaft
5. remove the pin holding the gear shift lever.(auto) Mine just pulled out, but if you need to "convince" it, use a small punch from the underside.
6.remove the gear shift indicator.(only to prevent possible damage )(2 screws)
7.Remove the gear shift indicator lamp from the housing. This is a fibre optic cable leading to the back of your gauge bezel. don't cut it because its not a re-spliceable wire!
8. The tricky bit! take the cowl that the switch was sitting in, in both hands and rotate it counter clockwise about 90 degrees while putting some downward pressure on it,and pull it towards you.It may need a bit of a wiggle. If it hasn't come off go back to your starting position and try again, this piece has a couple of little locator bumps on it to hold it in place and these are what you need to manoeuvre past. When you do this the bearing and bearing holder will slip off at the same time.
9. Slide the shift lever housing/cowl back towards you and remove.
10. On the underside of the column is a slide plate. slide the rubber around the column/under the gauge bezel thingy up the column and with a small screwdriver push the slide plate forward and remove. there should be a small lip.
11. Disconnect the wiring loom and remove.
12. Feed the new switch loom and basically reverse your procedure.
Be sure that when you put your new loom in to put the switch in place over the shaft and make sure the loom doesn't twist un=naturally and cause breakage down the line.. once you are happy with the loom position take it off the shaft and put everything back in reverse order of removal,
The gear shift cowl may not slide straight back on, so lift the steering shaft with a screwdriver as you slip the cowl back on.
Also make sure the loom sits in the notch at the six o'clock position of the top cowl
Don't force or feed any of the of the loom with a screwdriver or similar.
If you take care and patience its an easy (and when your done quite logical) procedure. I'm writing this under the influence of pain killers and may have missed something, so my apologies in advance but I'm pretty sure I have the main points covered

I hope this is helpful. Good luck.

IF YOU'RE GUNNA SKATE ON THIN ICE, YOU MAY AS WELL TAP DANCE!
Aussie Ol' Blue is offline   Reply With Quote