View Single Post
Old 01-08-2012, 02:26 AM   #20
1leglance

Re: 70 C-20 4x4 Suburban Father/Son project

The donor is home...6.2L diesel donor that is...and with an aftermarket turbo already installed!

Huge thanks to one of the Copper State Cruiser guys Brian for the use of his truck & trailer to safely get this rig to my house.

I need to go through it and make sure what year it is, what is missing and what is there, get it running and then get the engine/turbo out and to the diesel shop my wife is the office manager for so they can go through it all (including injector pump & injectors)

But because no story would be as fun with out a bit of drama...the previous owner had pulled the good back axle for his other rig. However he was cool enough to put something together to make this one a roller...and the back tires tried to roll right out of the axle like a cartoon as we loaded it up.
That meant to get it off the trailer we needed to push things a bit more toward center. However things didn't want to fit together and we quickly learned why

And since this is a Father/Son project my son got to get the dirty, greasy one and get all the old junk out of the way so we could shove the axle shafts back in. However crafty kid that he is, it only took 2 seconds for him to ask me if he could have all the broken bits to forge/weld/scuplt something cool. How do you say no to that? Watch for a yard creature soon

Tomorrow I will get up and look it over more closely by the light of day, hit is with degreaser & the power washer. Then start working on figuring out what I can use and not on the 70 burb...of course we will part out what we can to get some money back and scrap the rest.

Also I need to make some phone calls and do some reading about keeping the 700r4 that is behind this engine in place for the sake of the overdrive. As much as I love playing in the dirt I am not a hard core wheeler but there are alot of highway miles to get to the cool places.
1leglance is offline   Reply With Quote