View Single Post
Old 12-16-2019, 11:34 AM   #177
cruizin01

Re: '78 K20 to C10. Almost 20 years in the making.

Happy Monday.

I was pretty free this weekend so I spent about 12 hours or so in the garage between Saturday and Sunday. Tons of little stuff that doesn't seem overly productive but has to be done.

My alternator was a 2 wire PWM unit which doesn't work with the Sloppy Mechanics harness I bought to work with the Terminator. It needs the old 4 wire setup. Supposedly the alternator will charge at 13.8 without anything connected but since I bought the harness I wanted it to work correctly. There are a few guys that said they swapped the regulator out for the older 4 pin and it worked fine. So I found one for like $20 and attempted to swap it.

Its not really a direct fit. I had to cut off one a mounting tab and clearance the rear cover but I got it bolted in place. Hopefully it works. There is one small ground pin that didn't meet up where the old one did so Im just crossing my fingers for now.

My coldhose.com adapters were sitting against the frame. I should have clearance it before we installed the engine but I didn't know for sure how much room I would have. It was a pain to do with a cut off wheel but I got it handled.

I tee'd in my steam vent into the heater hose and got them reconnected.

-I reworked and shortened the shift rod as the trans sits about 2" forward of its old position. *forgot pictures*

-I routed and shortened the factory engine harness starter wires and attached them. I did the same with the alternator charging wire and A/C compressor clutch wiring. *forgot pictures*

I went about installing new plugs, LS1 style coils ( not running the heat sync coils with terminator), some wires and heat sleeves. Cylinder 5&7 are gonna need a couple new 90* boots to clear the downpipe.

I made up a brake booster hose. The old one was 3/8" at the booster but the intake it 1/2" so I used an adapter.

I started laying out the Holley harness and plugging everything in that I could. Its a nice harness its just significantly thicker, stiffer than my old sniper setup. Obviously there is more connectors and the ECU is a stand alone unit. Everything plugged in as it was supposed to though. Im gonna have to move the fuel pressure sensor though as its up near the throttle for some reason. I need to push the main harness in through the large grommet at the firewall and figure out how to get all the wiring inside the truck. I can't imagine guys using this harness and doing a clean firewall without completing tearing this harness apart and shortening/lengthening everything. Im gonna attempt to just make it as clean as I can without hacking it apart.

About to order some parts to try and attempt a 3.5" downpipe. I figured out roughly where I want the waste gate and should be able to merge it back in. I also decided to rework my fuel system and run -8 PTFE supply and -6 return for the ethanol. Still tons to do but I really enjoy this project so far.