View Single Post
Old 08-31-2017, 12:13 AM   #16
Another 72

Re: Another 72 Build Thread

All right, so the front mounting point on BOTH rear leafs was a complete PITA!!!

I wish I had pictures, but I was so pissed off I probably would have smashed my phone. I ended up taking an angle grinder and a few cut-off wheels to hack the front spring eye to bits. So much for selling the springs!

So, not my first time replacing leaf springs - that's easy. But this was my first axle swap. I gotta say, this part was a straight-forward bolt-on affair, which is GREAT considering the replacement axles cam off another 1st gen Blazer!

After I got everything bolted on, new rotors, wheel bearings, calipers, pads, hubs in the front; new drums, wheel cylinders, shoes, brake hardware, and 2" inch spacers in the rear; I thought the truck sat a little high. Sorry, no pictures. The replacement springs had 6 leaves in the rear and 3 in the front; I seem to remember my old Blazer from 20+ years ago having only two leaves in the front and maybe 5 in the rear, so I removed the middle leaf in the front and the second from the bottom leaf in the rear stack. I don't know if I'll drive it around like this, but I like the stance. Maybe the springs will settle. I also installed Monroe shock absorbers installed (#34944 in front, #34822 in the rear). The shocks allow about 3-4 inches of travel each direction, so I should hit the bump stops (going down) before the shocks bottom out. The wheels are off the ground before the shocks expand all the way.

Here's the new stance - it's about 7 or 8 inches shorter now, and it's the perfect height for me to get in and out (I'm 6' 2"). There's about 7 inches between the tires and wheel well.

Note - It's been in the garage a couple of weeks and boxes are already settling on it - I better get moving on this thing!
Attached Images

Rob
"1967 Wanna Be" 1972 K5 Blazer
Another 72 is offline   Reply With Quote