View Single Post
Old 06-22-2017, 10:55 AM   #29
Dannny B

Re: NAPCO C-50 Chevy restoration

I really don't have much use for fat tires. I have a 1 ton dually, 4 wd camper that weighs 10,000 lbs. It has 235-16 tires on it. I can make a u-turn in the soft sand at Pismo while pulling the buggy trailer.
I like skinnys because, they get through the top layer of mud and grab the base.
The six 10 lug wheels that I have are the ONLY rims I could find. The fronts are a one-piece wheel with a single lock ring. The only problem i've seen with split-ring wheels is; somebody had beat up the rings at an earlier dismount. Once the ring is distorted, it is a real problem.
I assembled my wheels just by kicking the ring.

I expect to use my truck in the woods. I do not like the idea of having steel flares sticking out where they will catch on things. You remember when Chevy came out with their dually. Everybody hooked a fender and ripped it.
I thought of buying nice trailer fenders and screwing them on to the bed-side. If I hooked them, I could just take them off.
This truck has round fenders, https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...5b2baea09f.jpg

I'll go with rubber flares for now.
There is another problem that some people just don't seem to understand. I've seen pics of a few trucks that have big singles.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...1&d=1385411062
This is death for your thumbs. The center of the tire must be lined up with the center of the kingpin. If not, you get "bump steer". The steering wheel will be flying every which way. If you have your thumbs through the spokes, you can lose them.

10.00--20 may look nice and big but, I don't have power steering. I see trucks around SoCal that have been adapted to run 11R-24.5. I'm sure that they ride as bad as a forklift. My C-50 doesn't weigh much and I need some flex in the sidewalls to get traction and a decent ride. Looking at the stock rear springs, I don't see any way to get a decent ride. I thought of taking out a few leaves and adding spacers instead. I don't see much spring compression in the future.

I have an F-650 boom truck with the same tire arrangement. It only weighs 6200 lbs and is sprung for 17,000. You can imagine what it rides like.
Dannny B is offline   Reply With Quote