View Single Post
Old 10-07-2017, 12:45 AM   #38
rkn463

Re: NAPCO C-50 Chevy restoration

Hi Dan,
Sorry to hear about this problem, it definitely takes some wind out of your sails. I am thankful that the result was not worse.

I had some experience with death wobble myself. A number of years ago we had an 80 model 4x4 3/4 ton Chevy truck on the ranch. It had those wide white spoke wheels that were so popular in the 80s and 90s. They were still 15" and the tires were maybe 12" wide. The main difference was that the offset put them far outboard of where the stock wheels would sit. At 40 mph or so the front end would just go berserk and you just about had to come to a stop to settle it back down. I hated that truck. Along the way we ran across a 73 that although very rusty was a good solid truck that drove well. We bought it to replace the 80 and switched the wheels/tires from the 80 and we suddenly had death wobble on the 73. (The 73 had street tires when we bought it) We finally bought some "skinny" 16" mud grips for the stock wheels on the 73 and the problem went away again. I think that the wheels sitting outbound at all from stock is the biggest contributor of all. As you are probably aware a straight line drawn through the pivot point of the knuckles should hit the ground at the center of the tire. If I remember correctly didn't you have mismatched wheels or am I confusing your build with another?

Again, I'm glad you are safe.

-Richard