View Single Post
Old 12-19-2010, 01:41 PM   #1
kev2809
low n' slo

Long water pump vs short water pump

is there a benefit to either?

im putting a 78 malibu motor in my suburban. now, i didnt even check to see what kind of pump was in it, but i replaced it with a new one from o reilly. told the guy what car the motor is from and this is what i get..

i was told this was a long water pump..which im assuming is right. (looks like it when i compare it to a 67 pump)

to me, it looks like the one that came with the truck..

the 2 main pulleys line up good with eacher (they both came with the 78 malibu motor). the 2 outer most grooves on the top and bottom pulley line up fine, leaving the third one (closest to the harmonic balancer) open. im having problems trying to get the alternator lined up. the alt is for a stock 67, with a single groove. i got the bracket from the motor that came in my truck..which appears to be another 305, but im unsure of the year. well, the pulley didnt line up with alt., and i used a ton of spacers and its still not right (even the spacer that came with bracket from the old motor). and i havent even tried to put the ps pump on yet (just got it painted, and figuring out the brackets lol).

well all this lead to...should i take it back down and get a different pump? or make the alt bracket work or find a new one. i just dont see how the alt bracket doesnt work...the pump on the old motor looks the same. i will have to take a pic and post it. and if that alt bracket is off, maybe the ps pulley will be off as well...?

-_--_--_ _________
_--_-_ -/____|__|__\__
,.,,,.,.,,.,|_O _______ O_]

Last edited by kev2809; 12-19-2010 at 01:42 PM.
kev2809 is offline   Reply With Quote