View Single Post
Old 03-24-2012, 11:34 PM   #27
MalibuSSwagon

Re: 1986 Short bed 2WD

Well after resolving a couple of mechanical issues, and some electrical issues, its alive.

I replaced the cap and rotor to solve a no spark on 2 cylinders. Adjusted valve lash per factory procedure.

Now I was getting a solid check engine light, no diagnostic mode and rev limited to 4k rpm. After checking all my pinouts, did a bit of diagnostic on the memcal. Re-did the big ground on the back of the head. Nothing. Replaced the computer with a used re-maned Delco from an 88 Corsica. I used the V6 memcal in the computer, and the ecu checked out. I could run diag mode and pull codes. Awesome. So I put in my hacked memcal and gave it a try. Back to the same old issues. Ah ha, issue is with my soldering on the chip socket. Resoldered all the joints, guess what? ECU is normal, not stuck in limp mode no more!

After disabling the anti-theft, it fired right up. Running a stock 92 Z28 w/ G92 option tune; this tune is more aggressive to work with the higher lift cam installed with that package. Still needs work to agree with my RV cam. However once closed loop kicked in, smooth running. So much more power than before, I can spin the tires all the way thru first, on gravel anyways. I am onto the tuning portion once I get my ALDL datalogging cable.

Also finally found a seat for the truck to replace those terrible Mitsubishi seats. Found this in a 1998 Caddy Fleetwood Limited.

Heated, full power split bench. Only a tiny bit of wear on the drivers side. The cup holder hides away in the arm rest when not needed. Oh yea thats right I'll finally have cup holders! Pulled the set from the pickapart for $50.
MalibuSSwagon is offline   Reply With Quote