View Single Post
Old 09-04-2012, 09:57 PM   #2
cjlinkster

Re: Increased MPG for carbs?

The first step that I would recommend is to calculate a baseline of your current mileage and you ideal mpg goal. There have been plenty of recent threads on how to increase MPG. Just keep in mind that without an overdrive transmission or running a diesel engine, it's going to be hard to get much more than 15 ~ 17 mpgs.

It sounds like you have your truck already setup very nicely. IMHO the 3" pipes are just about right, I would have done 2 1/2" pipes. The street avenger carb is supposed to have an extra spring to delay the control of the secondaries (for an additional fuel savings of around 5%). Are you running the stock cam shaft? I would recommend a towing cam (which would be a little bit more performance orientated). Headers would help with improving the MPGs but only by 1 or 2 MPGs.

Honestly, (as long as the engine is running properly) a lot of if depends on how you drive the truck.

BTW I am getting around 12 mpg with a 454 (recent tune up) and 4 speed granny. I drive like a man twice my age and keep it under 65 MPH; If I drove like other drivers my age it would be closer to 8 MPGs.

Good luck

Last edited by cjlinkster; 09-04-2012 at 10:10 PM.
cjlinkster is offline   Reply With Quote