View Single Post
Old 08-30-2017, 01:57 AM   #282
HO455
Post Whore

Re: Working Man's Burbon

It was do over day yesterday. I have put about 250 miles on the WMB and started hearing a clunk from the back going over bumps. I crawled underneath for a look and found three of the sound isolation mounts I had used had broke apart. They were rated for 7 pounds apiece and I figured they would be fine but apparently they were not happy with the bouncing of the truck. I was able to get replacement mounts with the same fastener size but rated for 20 pounds apiece. (Photo 1) So I will see how these last. I had figured they would transfer more of the compressor noise to the interior but I really can't tell the difference.
After that was done I noticed the compressor wasn't running. So after 20 minutes of troubleshooting I find the ground wires for the gas guage and the compressor relay use the same bolt. Which is fine but the gas guage ground lug was the most corroded lug I have ever found that still worked. (Photo 2) I have no explanation as to how the gas gauge still worked. The compressor relay ground was stacked on top of the corroded lug and I must have bumped it while replacing the mounts and ended the small bit of conductivity it had. So a new bolt for the grounding connection, buff the frame shiny, new connectors, and some copper anti-seize for the mating surfaces, and magically it works again. Then I thought it would be a good idea to replace the relay with brand new sealed one. Jet to the parts house and return with a new 40 amp rated relay. I decided to slightly reroute the harness which took five minutes and then replaced the relay. Now no compressor operation. Twenty minutes later I figure out the new relay is bad. Grrrrrr! Back to the old relay for now and I will have to clean all the copper-seize off the relay so I can return it. Double grrrr!!
Now all was working I reset the pressure set point from the 175 psi the PO had it at to 130 psi. Should be less wear on the compressor and it won't peg my new pressure guage. After a bunch of cycling of the bags to test everything one of the air valves started leaking past and inflating the right front bag. I removed the valve set and pulled the air line out of the bad channel. Looking through the fitting I was able to see what looks like part of and O-ring stuck in the valve seat. I called the folks at AireJax for some information on how to tear the valves down and what size of O-rings to get. They said no problem and they would send me some new ones out before the end of the day. The best news of the day. Some times you just can't get ahead.
Attached Images

If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote