View Single Post
Old 04-25-2017, 11:06 PM   #87
ctandc

Re: Here We Go - 65 C10 LWB - For the Kid

So it's only been 5 years since I last updated this 'build' thread. LOL.

What can I say, life happens. Simply didn't have the time to get the truck ready for the kid's first car. So life went on and the truck sits in my back yard silently staring at me.

I ended up selling my daily driver truck, wanted something better on gas and more fun to drive. Well since the kid is in college with the truck I got him - I find myself needing a truck now and again. Been looking at "beater trucks" not even being picky, and $1000-1500 gets me a rusty beater that would likely be a huge ?? as far as maintenance. Decided I already have the '65, so onward and upward.

I have a good chunk of parts I need to get rid of. I'll post a thread when I get a chance to renew my membership here and will list them.

Moved the shortbed frame out of hiding, will degrease and power wash it in the next few days. Picked up a cheap siphon blaster that a friend used on his ongoing project, will lay big tarps down in the back and pick up some black diamond at Tractor Supply for $8 a 50lb bag, and go to town. The kid is still playing baseball, now in college, so many weekends are tied up with baseball still....but much more time during the late Summer and Fall.

Plan on cutting down the LWB bed to fit the SWB frame.

Going to check out a '87 1500 2wd Suburban 350 / 700R4 hopefully Saturday. Body is BEAT and a freeze plug leaks, but the engine runs, no smoke no milkshake and the tranny shifts. If I can score it cheap enough, I'll take the entire front crossmember with front suspension intact and bolt it to the SWB frame (no crossmember or suspension currently) I can also use the steering box, brake booster etc etc.

That year 350 is 1 piece RMS and has the block provisions for roller cam / lifters and it's cheap to convert if I want to upgrade.

Plan (you know how that goes) is to get the chassis done in the garage, then roll it out and start on the cab, then bed etc.

Tentative plan is to fix the rust on the cab with patch panels, prime and use a tan sealer on the body and paint all the trim / wheels etc flat or satin black, and get it on the road.

More to come and hopefully not 5 years from now LOL

Last edited by ctandc; 04-26-2017 at 06:28 AM.
ctandc is offline   Reply With Quote