View Single Post
Old 04-08-2017, 09:12 PM   #21
clinebarger

Re: Any 6L80/6L90 experts out there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87Skier View Post
I ordered everything to change out the shaft today. RockAuto claims to have the output shaft in stock, but I'm skeptical they actually do. Once I have that I'll open the transmission.

If I do find bad clutches, should I rebuild the whole unit and replace the torque converter? If I don't find bad clutches, the torque converter needs to be replaced.

If the friction material is from the clutches, could this be due to low apply pressure from:
- leaky valve body space plate/checkballs
- a cracked piston
- leaking seals to apply parts
- a bad solenoid
- clogged filter screen

In case anyone is looking at this later and wondering about part numbers,
The part number for the solenoid screen assembly (red box in the picture) is:
ACDELCO 24236934
It includes checkballs and a few other seals.
Just because it has distressed frictions doesn't necessarily mean something is wrong with the unit, In a heavy-low powered vehicle coupled with a exuberant driver......Damage can be done to the frictions.

A Clutch Pack can only handle so many apply-release cycles in a given time frame before the pack gets very hot & the ATF can no longer carry the heat away.

Here are some pictures of overheated frictions & steels from a 6L90E out of a Isuzu NPR-HD with only 25,xxx miles, Nothing was wrong with the unit hydraulically, electrically, or otherwise. 100% user error from repetitive downshifts & upshifts.

clinebarger is offline   Reply With Quote