View Single Post
Old 04-06-2018, 08:41 PM   #130
Foot Stomper

Re: 1959 GMC 9310 Canadian built Shortbox Fleetside Deluxe

So Ken discovered a small hole in the side of the new transmission that leaked gear oil once he filled it. Did a bit of research and learned that the hole is used for a pin that holds the reverse shaft inside the transmission. The pin was pushed in a touch too far, so a dab of JB Weld was used (after a cleaning and scuff) to stop the leak. All good now.

The old truck is being shipped off tomorrow to end up in Cochrane, Alberta later this month. Ken's done taking required parts n pieces off of it and needs the space in the shop to prep and paint the box sides. Three tailgates, an extra set of rims and tires and other odds and ends will get strapped to the flat deck. Once I get the old girl home, I'll put it up for sale along with all the other 55 GMC step side stuff and 58/59 pieces I've accumulated during this build. Not going to part it out... one price takes everything in one sale. Hopefully, someone will want to make a stocker as the motor and transmission, brakes and all mechanical worked perfectly when I drove it to Ken's in the fall of 2015.

The box sides went to sand blaster this week and have a wee bit of filler in them which is understandable and acceptable. Ken tells me there is a small amount of rust repair but nothing too serious. The rest of the box is all brand new pieces so once he's done working on the box sides, he will be installing the hidden tailgate latches and drop down support cables. Once tailgate is done, it will get scuffed along with the new header panel and primed. Dry fitment will happen along the way before paint.

The upholsterer called to say the seat was ready for pickup/install.... sorry no pics... more on that later...

The passenger door is giving Ken some serious gray hair as it doesn't close anywhere near easy with the weather strip on. Nothing new with these old girls to be sure! The driver side door is a dream to open and close so there is some relief in that... but still, a stubborn door is a total pain in the ass for him at this point. I sent him some new(er) hinges and he's going to try them to see if that improves the situation. One thing I've told Ken a thousand times is "this is NOT a concours restoration and I expect to see irregular gaps and imperfect alignment... I don't want it over-restored!"... just like when it was first built is just fine with me!!!

Ken has sworn that I am not going to see any more pictures now that it's at this stage s no more pictures for you guys either until it's done.
Attached Images

My 1959 GMC build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=686989
Foot Stomper is offline   Reply With Quote