View Single Post
Old 03-04-2012, 12:13 AM   #7
68Gold/white

Re: Factory 402 cam specs - desktop dyno

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4xshort View Post
The manual also says the shortblock interchanges with 1970 Camaro
Chevelle and Monte Carlo and it rates it at 310hp, it doesnt have any info
on the heads. The torque curve looks pretty flat will the desktop dyno go down to 1000rpm?
I don't know (or care) the spec's of the specific cam...BUT,

I tore the 396 down (from my 68 pickup) it had a groove fully machined in the rear most journal. THis groove IS needed in the 65-66 big blocks, because of oiling differences...

The 396's in pickups were rated w/ differnt HP's than cars. I've tore down car AND pickup engines (396's) and the ones I tore down were identical...who knows...

I asked my engine builder friend, who has built hundreds of big blocks about this... he told me the the cam in my 396 was the the lowest H. P. stock type cam the Chevy put in essentially ALL of the base model big blocks. He guessed that they made a monster batch of cam's in 65 and 66 and kept using them until they ran out, and that the early cams CAN be used in later engines but late cams CANNOT be used in early engines without the journal being machined. He said he didn't usually see many of the grooved cams much past 1969 stuff...

My point...
The 396 stock camshaft in my 68 pickup, even though it wasn't a fresh build, I didn't think was worth a crap!!!, It had no particular good power in ANY RPM range, just didn't perform very well, my opinion.
Run it on your computer dyno, but DON"T look for one to use in a real engine...

AND don't use the closed chamber 396 heads. THe smallest open chamberd 454 heads are good heads for a 396.

Just trying to be helpful...
68Gold/white is offline   Reply With Quote