View Single Post
Old 11-23-2014, 08:14 AM   #34
doubleclucker

Re: My nv4500 swap then doubler ol' black

Well I thought it was time for an update as its been well over a year even 2.
About 2 months after the doubler install I kept hearing strange noises from the gearboxes and they got worse over about a month so I decided to investigate.
Seems the countershaft roller bearings went bad in the np203 box and even turned the shaft past the outside locking tab which was never really tight to it in the the first place (the factory ford one)so I made a new one tighter and stronger when rebuilt.Inside the box there was no damage anywhere else just the pieces of broken rollers in the bottom of the case!Just to be on the safe side though I had other range box internals so I cleaned and swapped all the parts inside.The gaskets would be too slow to get so I opted to buy a roll of gasket material and make my own which turned out even better I used empty 38 special casings to cut perfect bolt holes in the gaskets.Then I made an adapter to bolt the gearboxes right to the transmission jack for a safer install.I also made a bit different nv4500 shifter for clearence (i will see if I can find a pic)
Since then- No issues at all,quiet as a church mouse,
The overdrive is awesome.
On the bush trails tight turning and maneuvering are made more easier and controlled with the doubler and low gears (your not always on the clutch pedal)
In the end... I am very happy with this setup and the cost was very affordable.
Attached Images