View Single Post
Old 01-28-2013, 12:12 PM   #6
mr48chev

Re: alternator wiring question

Quote:
Originally Posted by butchp View Post
While you guys are on alternators can I ask a question? I bought a 130 amp single wire alt. can it be wired like the non single wire and would there be an advantage to add the extra wires and diode.

That depends on how they did the single wire setup but I'd just leave it the way it is and count on having to gun the engine to energize the alternator if it doesn't otherwise start charging when you fire up the truck. I've seen them both ways and most of the single wire units i have seen are on diesel farm trucks that were converted with alternators from a local parts house when I was working on a dairy farm.

I'm not a big fan of the single wire units simply because hooking a regular Delco alternator up like the photo squirts showed is so simple and fool proof. The hardest part is soldering the diode in the wire. Massey Ferguson also stocks a diode that will work. The photo that Squirts used originated on a farm tractor board by the way. http://www.ytmag.com/cgi-bin/viewit....mall&th=789026

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote