View Single Post
Old 07-12-2015, 07:36 PM   #92
Zoomad75
K5Camper

Re: My K5 Blazer Story.

Been collecting a few more parts. Larry got the old engine and trans cleaned up and ready for me to take back home. This way they are out of his way! Spent the morning getting a hole carved out of my pile of crap to put them into.

Got some horse trading done this weekend too. Last weekend at Larry's house we were over for his kiddo's 2nd birthday party. Got to talking with our buddy Bill and he told me to keep an eye out for a metal high top contractor style topper for his Dodge. I didn't think I'd see one come through the dealership but as luck has it we did this week. It was on a customer's Dirtymax that was in for a starter and flywheel and he ended up trading it off mid-repair. 3rd time this week somebody traded a car we were working on, odd. So I quickly called Bill and told him about it. He was on board and I sent him some pics. We hatched a plan for him to come up Saturday. Here's where things got a little off kilter. Saturdays in the shop are pretty laid back and we close by one. It comes up to 12:30 and Bill's a no show. I text him and he says he's on his way. He shows up at closing time, but it means we can BS without anybody bugging us. He's got one of his gun buddies with him, Andy. I've met Andy before, but didn't peg him as a wheeling nut. I begin to give Bill a ration of crap for being late and he tells me they were installing a lift on Andy's 84 GMC Suburban that morning. Hmm Interesting. We strike a deal over the topper and they invited me to lunch at a local hole in the wall BBQ joint that I can't say no too. So over some awesome brisket we get to talking about his Burb. It's a Doeskin tan color like the 91. He's got a fresh 6.2 oil burner in it with a brand new Banks sidewinder turbo kit. Now it's getting a 6" lift to top it off. Then he tells me about the Craigslist deal that he made for a 8 lug D44 front diff and 14B full floater that both were locked with 4.56 gears. They were going to swap them in at the same time as the lift but further inspection found a cheezy locker in the front and missing teeth on the ring gears in both. No swap done.

Andy says they need to go get some tires and wasn't sure what to get. I pipe up that I've got the 35's off the 75 that due to the 15" size and 6 lug wheels I won't be using them on the 91. We struck a deal and made arrangements for them to go get them from Ian's place where the old chassis is at. We finish up lunch and make the blitz back down to Pueblo. I had told another friend I'd help him install a new set of Lower control arms on a neat TJ Wrangler he bought from Bill's boss a few weeks back. I swing in and we get right to work and pop them in without much fuss. With time to spare I call Bill to see where they are at on the lift install. Just getting started on the rear and extra hands are welcome he tells me.

I cruise over to Bills place and Andy is just backing the burb into the garage. First look, that burb is CLEAN. Couple of minor rot spots in the rear wheel openings but otherwise it's very nice inside and out. Really unmolested. Larry's Polarbear wasn't this clean on the inside when he got it. Bench seat, rear heat and a/c with a tailgate. The rear lift install went as planned as it was only blocks, but he's interested in my old shackle flip brackets. Lift completed we made a quick spin to an atm to grab some cash for the tires. The truck rides nice, but needs an adjustment to the draglink as the steering wheel is upside down. Andy sent me a pic after getting the wheels and tires on his burb today.

Parts from the 75 have helped out yet another old squarbody owner. He's itching to see mine and put the two tan rides together. Probably do some wheeling too! I know the tires will handle it!

Little history note: Andy is the guy that Bill bought another 6.2 Suburban from way back in the early days of my K5 story. The one the broke a crankshaft shortly after pulling my stupid self out of a pile of mud when I decided to play on my own. That burb to those that have seen Larry's previous builds was the one he and Bill stuffed a 6.5 in with the existing Banks sidewinder. I didn't put that link together until we got to talking about that other burb over lunch.
Zoomad75 is offline   Reply With Quote