View Single Post
Old 05-09-2018, 07:51 PM   #49
dmjlambert

Re: Alternator question

Quote:
Originally Posted by vince1 View Post
I used to get CS130's with the plug at the junkyard for about $30 but only if they looked fresh with good bearings and usually with an overhaul sticker. They sure do charge better at low RPM than the 10si's. A listing for an 89 Pontiac Safari is a CS130 that has the V pulley.
This is interesting info. Changes everything for me. I've been thinking about how the Mad Electrical web page http://www.madelectrical.com/electri...elcoremy.shtml does a good job talking about 10SI and 12SI alternators, how to recognize them, and the APPLICATION DATA section is the most interesting. It's what to actually ask for in the parts store to get a 10SI or 12SI, because you can't get one by asking for a 10SI or 12SI.

I have not seen a similar web page for the CS alternators. The electrical FAQ does not (yet) have anything about the CS alternators regarding an application. So, if I want a CS130 or CS144, not from a junk yard but from an auto parts store, I flat out can't get one, because nobody has revealed a usable application, until just now when vince1 did. Prior to now, if I don't have experience at junk yards that have older model cars, and if I don't want to just order something from Amazon or eBay and not really know what I'm getting, I was just out of luck.

Thanks for the post vince1.
dmjlambert is online now   Reply With Quote