Thread: Restoring Rusty
View Single Post
Old 07-31-2018, 10:01 AM   #5662
Gregski
Post Whore

Re: Restoring Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonball98312 View Post
Is the saginaw a temporary replacement for the a833 to get rebuilt or a replacement? Did you not like the a833 if so? I have one that im looking forward to installing, someday lol. Curious which you prefer
that is a very good question, I had multiple thoughts cross my mind, I like to experiment so I wanted to try all or some of the 60's 4 speeds, like the Muncie, but it proved to be too expensive at the moment, as hot rodding is in vogue and prices have run away from us OGs, lol, so I found this Saginaw for like $200 with linkage (couldn't pass it up) so I thought throw in the Saginaw, drive it, and yes take your time rebuilding the 833

but then guess what the new girl agrees with me more as far as the gearing is concerned, I found myself leaving the 833 in third more and more as of late ie 1:1 drive to put my new cam and heads in their power band, most "performance" cams start at 2,500 RPM and go up to like 5,500 plus RPM, don't get me wrong on the freeway 4th gear ie the Over Drive on that 833 is amaze balls, but how often do I go camping, and drive 90 miles on the freeway, not often, most of the time its city driving or short bursts on the freeway

so the 833 is a good transmission give it a go, but the Saginaw is greatly underestimated especially with "hear say" on the Internets of how weak it is (um ironically iron case not aluminum, which is good, duh the 833 guys upgrade from aluminum to iron when they want to beef theirs up) and not all Saginaws were created equal, look above at the notches on the input shaft thread, they came with like four or five different gear combos, I think the zero notches on the input shaft is the strongest transmission so that's what I luckily ended up with. They even came with an OD option I hear.

either box is way better than the SM465 granny low gear that came with our trucks, I know some off roader 4x4 guys will argue with me, but if you like to drive off of the farm every once in a while and off of the dirt roads (ha ha) whilst towing a flat trailer full of hay stacks, and instead you like pavement under your tires, the Saginaw or the 833 are the way to go, unless of course you can land a Muncie or a TKO 5 speed, ha ha

oh and if and when I do go back to the 833 I am also dorppin' in the stock hydraulic clutch bell housing and hydraulic clutch off of our mid 80s GM trucks cause I absolutely can't stand the Mickey Mouse Z bar setup, it's problematic and yes I rebuilt it and have it adjusted properly

good luck, g

Last edited by Gregski; 07-31-2018 at 10:53 AM.
Gregski is offline   Reply With Quote